Awareness Games

Home Forum Training, Guns & Gear Awareness Games

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by MrAnderson MrAnderson 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MrAnderson
    MrAnderson
    Keymaster

We should always play simple games to train Awareness to a higher level. I say games because it keeps it lighthearted and people just tend to practice more and retain more when the pressure is off(in my experience at least).

Anytime you go out to a restaurant ask someone your with how many visible exits there are. If they have an answer ask them to speculate on how many exits there are you cant see based on your assumed knowledge of the layout.

When people get used to this step it up. Who is carrying, firearm or knife, both?

Train your family and friends… it forces you to be aware of the same things your asking and those are the people most likely to be at your back if something goes south.

Grant W
    Grant W
    Keymaster

I do this all the time and my wife thinks that I’m crazy. Since I use to make a living(-ish) selling firearms and accessories at cabela’s, I always scan for people carrying. (Word to the wise, if you see a man wearing a fanny pack, especially a black one, he’s carrying.:) ) Another good practice to get into , especially at restaurants, is to always seat yourself facing the center of the room, that way your back is covered and you have a great vantage point for accessing the situation (if it makes your significant other feel better, you can call it “people watching”.) another thing that I also try to do is organize what I believe to be obstacles in my F or F (fight or flight) path. things like, table orientation, floor surfaces, are there booths or chairs, what in these areas can I use, or what may be used against me. like here is just a for instance… Tomato street Cd’a. entrance, on the west side, the exits on the east are through the kitchen, swinging doors to enter the kitchen, tile floors. seating arrangement is tables and chairs, table covering is paper that is affixed to the table. each table has crushed red pepper and parmesan cheese, as well as salt and pepper in glass shakers. water is brought to each table, as well as crayons to color on the table with. so why do I deem all these things important? well here is how my awareness exercise pans out… more then likely any immediate threat would come through the west entrance, if that were to happen the easiest escape would tend to be through the kitchen, but here in lies the problem… tile floors, and tripping hazards. in the commotion more then likely, people will stand up quickly and spill things that are on there table in there rush to leave. so now your escape is riddled with crayons and shakers, ice and water. any of those things on a tile floor create a slippery situation. and you have a swinging door that will be flipping back and forth. if that exit becomes cluttered with slipping and falling people, what is plan B? well hopefully you are prepared, and have tools on your person that can be used immediately to stop the situation. if not you have plenty of potential weapons, I don’t want to be hit with a thrown crushed red pepper shaker or a heavy water glass. but by the same token people have to work together to stop the situation. if someone is hurling salt shakers, someone else should be moving into position to disarm the assailant. most situation dissolve quickly if quick decisive actions are taken, match force with force. act first, take that away from the attacker, and now they have to react, now they have to choose the path of least resistance, and in most cases they will choose the door. good exercise Kris, its always a great idea to keep yourself sense’s heightened with constant proper practice.

Happy Easter Everybody.

MrAnderson
    MrAnderson
    Keymaster

Thats the stuff Grant. Well thought out plans, i love the use of the table condiments!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.